Understanding Your Market

One of the things Mandi and I love to do is to go to theme parks. Now, granted, I will admit that my love of rollercoasters has waned as I've gotten older, and more relevantly, less and less skinny. I think I've been getting better with weight, but I may have only stabilized my expansion. So, I usually look towards modern attractions to be more accommodating to my physique.

Point is, as with many things in life that I like and love - I've devoted some of my time to consuming media that covers theme parks from merely experiencing it, to analyzing it. 

A video from Poseiden Entertainment recently went over how Disney may be suffering from "brand fatigue." I don't disagree with the video outright, but I ended up feeling as though I wanted to believe in the thesis, but felt uneasy in that want.

I'm not even sure if I want to argue with the premise that Disney is, or isn't, suffering from brand fatigue. To be honest, I don't know what their attendance numbers are doing, but I can only think to say that:

  • Disney's parks are still one of its more profitable businesses. 
  • any decrease in attendance could be attributed to Bob Iger's cost cutting
  • any decrease in attendance may still be welcomed because those parks are FUCKING slammed.

What I really want to actually quibble with from that video is the idea that brand fatigue is causing less attendance in certain themed areas. The idea that we're all Marvel-ed and Star Wars-ed out. I think that's a mischaracterization of how the parks work though. Very quickly, I think Galaxy's Edge looks empty because kids don't appreciate Star Wars the way adults do. And despite that, all the adults we think we see at Disney, LOOK at all the strollers. Especially compared to the strollers at Universal Studios / Islands of Adventure. 

And that's really it - that paragraph right above this one.
1) Galaxy's Edge isn't really all that empty.
2) Disney is subject to what a lot of people under the age of 13 want to do, and it really isn't Star Wars  and the Marvel Cinematic Universe as much as we want it to be.

Comments

Popular Posts