A Note on Star Wars

Re: a Discord comment on how Ahsoka wasn't in much of her self-titled.

I think that's another bit of ... I don't want to call it controversy - because no one has specifically called this out - from recent Star Wars shows.

Like, Ahsoka. Awesome, can't wait! But, also, really, the show is trying to finish the Ezra Bridger story arc left from the "Rebels" show.

Boba Fett! I couldn't wait! But, let's have a detour and talk more about the Mandalorian.

And I think this stems from awesome ideas that I want to see. But, is it a show? A serialized show? No. The are great ideas that would normally be a movie or two - and its TURNED in to a show. 

Now I take all that in to account, and because I'm getting more story from a universe I like, I'm all about it. I look past it. But, critics, and lots of other fans, who dare I say may even be "better" fans than me, hate it. And when we look at the ingredients that make up the sauce, I can see why, and dare I say they might be right. Doesn't mean that I don't like it any less, but maybe it adds some guilt for me liking the products as much as I have.

One of the cool things about a show that's TRULY serialized and where the arcs are loose, is that you can just hit shuffle on your preferred self-hosted tv app or outside streaming app, and put it on in the background (like I still do with Star Trek TNG and Voyager, and a lot of DS9).

 When they're structured the way a lot of these Star Wars shows are now (like mini-series), it makes re-watching Obi-Wan Kenobi a start-to-finish 6-episode experience akin to watching the movie Gettysburg. There's just no shuffle option. You are going to go through it in order.

Comments

Popular Posts