What Would I Say
One of the things I like trying to do here is writing about stuff I'd like to write to others. I know, stay with me. But, haven't some of you ever wanted to write, or talk to someone in an effort to establish a connection? Or, just ask someone out? As it turns out, once we get over our own fears of asking out other people, I think we're generally a pretty good judge of our chances at getting a, "yes."
And on top of having feelings for somebody, even when you don't, it can be pretty difficult sometimes to send messages of affirmation. Or, send interesting information and have it apply properly and not come off as judgmental.
I recently fell in to this trap a few days ago trying to impart some wisdom from Freddie DeBoer. But, in trying to talk about how Hetero-Pessimism, among other positions can change depending on personal feelings and circumstances, I found that I was coming off as judgmental about where someone currently is even though I was trying to be supportive of any possible future changes.
On top of the self doubt that comes off with a misfire like that, I had to wonder if I sent the message in the first place because of my own personal feelings projecting on to that person. I hope that this person changes their personal dating outlook so that they might want to date me. As if. And when you like someone, doesn't that mean you should look out for their wants and needs? So, shouldn't I care about them wanting to stay where they are, and the lifestyle that they want? Would that mean that they would need to transplant? (As I feel the need to stay close to Jenson (my son), currently.) It would be mean to do something like that to them.
And all of that ^^^ making as assumption that they would like me.
What would I say? Let me tell you in my next post.
Comments